Sunday, August 30, 2009
Nope.... it's been a couple weeks and still they haven't drawn out those empty frames. In fact it looks like all they are doing is storing all the sugar syrup I've been feeding them. We missed the last meeting about closing up the hive for the winter. We hope to make the last outdoor meeting of the season. I'll have to contact the head bee man and let him know where the girls are and see what he has to say about the situation.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
When we arrived, the girls were flying. Seems the move hasn't bothered them too much. It's been awhile since we looked inside. I wanted to check to see how the girls were doing with the last of the empty frames. Still 3 empty frames. But they seem to be doing fine.
Saturday, August 8, 2009
It's been awhile since I posted...that's because we've been very busy moving. Moving is a big event to begin with BUT now we have a bee hive to move! How hard can it be. Wait till its dark and everyone is in and go. Well the morning of the move I use a large piece of screen between the inner cover and the outer cover. It tucked it all under the inner cover, blocking the hole on the top and in the edge of the cover. I then duct taped the inner cover to the hive and replaced the outer cover. After work of course now we have to wait for it to get dark. I kept going out to check what the girls were doing. Slowly the girls made their way into the hive. Finally around 8:30 I checked again. Still a few guards at the door. So I gently blew on them and....they moved in! I did it again and they move further in. Well, I kept doing it, they stay inside the opening and I put a piece of screen over the opening and taped it in place. I taped the sides of the hive to hold everything together. Ok... time to load the hive onto the truck. Thank goodness the hive is only 1 brood box. And were off. We arrived without incident. Unload the hive onto the new stand. At the new location we put the hive up on blocks, there tends to be more wildlife here.